Basic Quick Grits Recipe January 29 2014
Basic Quick Grits
Creamy and flavorful, our "quick" grits are nothing like the kind you get in packets from the grocery store...
- Combine 1 cup of grits with 2.5 cups of water, stock or a combination in a pot.
- On high heat, stir the mixture a minute or so with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat.
- Using a fine tea strainer, strain any floating particles off of the top while slightly tilting the cooking pot. Take care not to scoop up the grits in the bottom of the pot!
- Return to high heat. Once the grits boil, reduce heat to low and stir every few minutes, taking care to scrape the bottom of the pot. Don't rush and burn the grits on the bottom!
- Cook grits at a low-medium temp until they soften and firm up (about 20 minutes).
- If grits “firm up” before they soften, slowly add some water or stock that is at or near boiling (keeping a pot of hot water or stock simmering on the stove is very helpful).
- Add salt and butter to taste (and liberal amounts of cheese and anything else you like in your grits--the list is practically endless!).