Creamed Corn Spicy Cornbread
There are a million great cornbread recipes out there, but this is our personal favorite...
- Preheat oven and cast iron skillet to 450 degrees.
- Combine 2 cups corn meal in a large mixing bowl with 1 tsp. salt, 1 tbsp. Sugar, 2 tbsp. baking powder, ½ tsp. baking soda. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
- In another bowl, combine 1 cup of milk, cream, buttermilk, or yogurt, 2 eggs, and 1 cup creamed corn. (Optional: Add 1 jalapeno pepper, diced, with seeds for more spice, without for less. ½ cup jack or cheddar cheese.) Whisk to combine.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet, whisking as you combine. If the mixture isn't rather loose, add more liquid.
- Lightly Coat the hot skillet with cooking oil or spray. Pour the mixture into the skillet. Place skillet into oven.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until deep golden brown.
Can be served with butter and honey, if desired. Delicious!