Simple Stone-Ground Black Skillet Cornbread
- Serves 6 or more. Recipe can be halved.
- Preheat oven and greased 14 inch diameter cast iron skillet to 450 degrees. Note: a muffin tin may be used instead of a skillet. A tin should not be preheated, and the cooking time is shortened.
- Combine 2 cups corn meal in a large mixing bowl with 1 tsp. salt, 1 tbsp. Sugar, 1 tbsp. baking powder, ½ tsp. baking soda. Whisk thoroughly to combine
- In another bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of milk or cream (1/4 cup of milk can be exchanged for 1/4 cup of sour cream or plain yogurt) and 2 eggs. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
- .Add the dry mixture to the wet, whisking as you combine. If the mixture isn't rather loose, add more liquid. If the mixture is too loose and watery, add cornmeal a tablespoon at a time until it thickens.
- Pour the mixture into the hot skillet. It should sizzle. Place skillet into oven. Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden brown. A toothpick should come out clean and dry.
- Serve with butter, honey, or however you like!