Cast-Iron Skillet Cornbread
- Serves 6 or more. Recipe can be halved.
- Preheat oven and greased 14 inch diameter cast iron skillet to 450 degrees. Note: a muffin tin may be used instead of a skillet. A tin should not be preheated, and the cooking time is shortened.
- Combine 2 Cups Coarse White, Coarse Yellow, or Coarse Blue Cornmeal in a large mixing bowl with 1 tsp. salt, 1 tbsp. sugar (optional), 2 tsp. baking powder, ½ tsp. baking soda. Whisk thoroughly to combine
- In another bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of milk or cream (1/4 cup of milk can be exchanged for 1/4 cup of sour cream or plain yogurt) and 2 eggs. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
- .Add the dry mixture to the wet, whisking as you combine. If the mixture isn't rather loose, add more liquid. If the mixture is too loose and watery, whisk in cornmeal a tablespoon at a time until it thickens.
- Pour the mixture into the hot skillet. It should sizzle. Place skillet into oven in the center rack. Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until the top turns lightly golden brown. A toothpick should come out clean and dry.
- Serve with butter, honey, or however you like!