How to Cook Polenta
- Boil 3 cups of stock or water in a heavy-bottomed pot. Keep an additional pot of hot liquid simmering on the stove to add to the polenta if it thickens before it softens.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt per dry cup of polenta
- Whisk or slowly stir in 1 cup of polenta (to break up lumps).
- Continue to stir until the mixture returns to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer
- add 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Cook for about 20 minutes. Stir every 3 to 5 minutes scraping the bottom of the pot. Cooking times may vary due to stove temperatures and volume of polenta. The polenta is ready to eat when it is uniformly soft.
- Stir in ½ cup of parmesan cheese (freshly grated is best)
- stir in 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Adjust salt to taste, if needed.