Lemon Peach Cornmeal Cookies
Looking for something new to do with your cornmeal? Cookies are always great!
- 1 1/2 Sticks of unsalted butter,chilled, and cut into a dozen or so pieces
- 1 3/4 Cups cornmeal
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 1/3 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1 Peach, peeled and pitted
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Large eggs
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor and blend together by pulsing until uniform (a minute or so). Add the butter a piece or two at a time while pulsing the processor. Pulse until uniform. The dough should look like breadcrumbs.
- Blend in peach and lemon zest.
- Blend in eggs until smooth (a minute or two). The dough should be thick and sticky.
- Refrigerate the dough for about an hour. Alternatively, you could go to bed and bake them in the morning while you have your coffee
- Cold dough works best, so work quickly! Roll the dough out onto a well-floured surface. It should be around a third of an inch thick. Cut out your cookies.
- Put the cookies onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, or a well greased cookie sheet (I like spray coconut oil). Space the cookies about 2 inches apart. Bake for approximately 15 minutes in an oven pre-heated to 350. The cookies should be well browned on the bottom.
- Let the cookies cool for a few moments. then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool for at lest 10 minutes.