The Only Sweet Cornbread Recipe You Will Ever Need!
This is a brown-butter cornbread that uses maple syrup as a sweetener.
- 3/4 cup coarse cornmeal
- 1/4 all purpose flour
- 1/2 tbs. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
My Pyrex measuring cup is a useful place for the browned butter to cool off..The is melted in the skillet while you mix the batter. Be sure to let the butter cool off before it goes in the wet side. It will cook the eggs otherwise!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt the butter in the skillet over medium heat until it browns.
- While butter is melting, mix the ingredients together. The best way to make cornbread from scratch is to use two bowls and a measuring cup - compile the dry side first, then compile the wet side into another bowl. A heat-resistant measuring cup is a good place to let the browned butter cool before mixing into the wet side (5 minutes or so of cooling will do).
- Don't cook the eggs inadvertently with the hot butter. Heat up the skillet again (be careful, obviously, don't start a fire). Leave the bottom of the skillet covered in brown butter.
- Whisk dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the hot skillet with the help of the rubber spatula. It should sizzle a good bit.
- Put it into the preheated oven and cook for 20 minutes. A toothpick should pull out clean.